What is Radon?
Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas that is produced naturally from the decay of Uranium. It is distributed throughout the soil and rocks in the earth's crust. Radon gas is invisible, odourless and tasteless. Concentrations of radon are normally low outdoors but can build up indoors where the gas becomes confined and decays to radioactive alpha particles called radon progeny or radon daughters. When inhaled, these alpha particles are deposited in the lungs where they release bursts of radioactive energy which kills live cells and can also genetically affect the DNA of lung cells and tissue. At some later date these damaged cells can become the beginning phase of developing lung cancer.
When radon is confined to enclosed or poorly ventilated spaces, it can accumulate to extremely high levels. Radon levels are generally highest in basements and crawl spaces because these areas are nearest to the source and are usually poorly ventilated. In the open air, the amount of radon gas is very small and does not pose a health risk.
Why Should I Be Concerned When Breathing in Radon Gas?
IS IT IN YOUR HOME?
There is no known threshold below which radon exposure carries no RISK. The LOWER the radon concentration is the LOWER the RISK.
Damage to a cell from the release of radioactive energy from alpha particles in your LUNGS!
Cell can die
Cell can repair itself
DNA incorporates an error, creates abnormal cell, produces a LUNG TUMOR
Radon is a "Class A", carcinogen, this means that it causes cancer in humans!